Terms and conditions
The term “VCI” or “us” or “we” refers to the owner of the website. The term “you” refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorized use of this website may give to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- You may not create a link to this website from another website or document without VCI’s prior written consent.
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to Belgian Law.
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by “VCI” and whilst we endeavour to keep the information up-to-date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of “VCI”. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, “VCI” takes no responsibility for and will not be liable for the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control.
This document describes how the Vehicle Crime Investigators (hereafter named « VCI »), a not-for-profit organisation established in Belgium, registered under company number 0894.251.908, with registered seat at 9820 Merelbeke, Bergstraat 50, processes your personal data when offering their different services.
VCI endeavours to process personal data in compliance with the European Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Regulation on the Protection of Data “RGPD”). The latter will prevail on national laws of the Member States from the 25 May 2018.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as post code, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Membership management.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our services.
- We may periodically send email about VCI activities and information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or ordinary mail.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to adequately safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to member needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
The types of processing
VCI processes your personal data when dealing with:
– Membership management
The legal basis of this processing is the contractual necessity and the legitimate interest of VCI (notably, the freedom to establish associations).
Under this purpose, VCI shall also send you, from time to time, e-mails regarding VCI activities and other information VCI believes to be relevant for you.
– Account management
This finality covers the creation and the management of the user’s account on VCI’s platform and website.
The legal basis of this processing is the contractual necessity.
– Analysis and statistics
The legal ground of these processing activities is the contractual necessity and the legitimate interest derived from the freedom to entrepreneurship. Indeed, VCI only processes personal data in order to provide the services offered.
The retention period of your personal data:
The data will be kept for a duration of maximum [5 years] after the end of your membership with VCI.
Complementary information concerning the potential recipients of your personal data:
Depending on the necessities of the processing described hereabove and within the limits of what is organised hereunder, VCI might need to share some of personal data with other recipients such as:
– Sub-processors supplying some of the services in relation with your personal data according to a sub-processing agreement and with the sole objective to supply technical support to VCI. It might be, for example, internet service providers.
– Competent authorities to which VCI might be bound to disclose information as part of a legal proceeding or to detect technical or safety issues.
International Data Transfers
As a member and supporter of VCI your details are not shared nor stored in any other organization.
Your personal information by way of name, affiliation (employer), telephone contact number and email address are available to ALL members of VCI through the ‘Member Search’ facility on the website.
You have access to your profile on the website and have total control over the information that is available under the ‘Member Search’ facility. You may request change of that information at any time.
In some instances, it is necessary to transfer your personal data overseas. Any transfers will be made in full compliance with all aspects of the applicable regulations.
For many of our business purposes we use cloud-based services. Therefore, for technical and organizational reasons, it is necessary that your personal data is transferred to servers located in the servers located in countries outside of the EEA. When we transfer the data to a country outside of the EEA, that does not offer an adequate level of data protection, we will ensure compliance with applicable law by way of EU Model Clauses or other legally accepted safeguards, as applicable.
How to protect your personal data:
In accordance with current legislation, VCI provides a level of protection adequate to your personal data. These measures include technical and organisational measures necessary to protect your personal data against accidental or non-authorised destruction, accidental loss as well as against any alteration, access or any other unauthorised processing of your personal data. It is notably Web running on shared server in the Slovenia. Security, high end industry leading PaloAlto Firewalls in a HA configuration. Website application level is managed and maintained using WordPress
However, VCI informs you that no security system can guarantee 100 % of security. We remain nevertheless at your disposal for any other question or remark on the confidentiality and safety of your personal data.
The safety of your personal data also partially depends on your actions. It is your responsibility to use complex passwords and to keep them confidential in order to protect your VCI account and so, your personal data. For example, if you share a computer with other people, do not forget to log out your session after each use so that it will not be available to everybody.
The right of the data subject concerned by the processing of its personal data
According to the Belgian Act of 8 December 1992 on data privacy regarding the processing of personal data, you have the right to access data concerning you and to rectify them. You also have the right to opt-out, free of charge, of our mailings (“right to opt-out of direct marketing”).
To exercise this right, you must respect the conditions provided by the law. Alternately, to make things easier you can contact us at the address that you will find below.
From 25 May 2018, data subjects will acquire additional rights:
– You will have the right to be forgotten or to the erasure of your data;
– The right to retract your consent at any time to the processing of your data;
– The right to portability of your data and to receive a copy of the data processed concerning you;
– The right to introduce a complaint at the Belgian Privacy Commission, the control authority of Belgium;
– The right to be informed, in case of automated decision-making process, of the logic underlying the system and the importance and consequences envisaged by the processing for the person concerned.
How to contact us
Please, fill the contact form in the website.
Complementary information on data privacy can be obtained from the Belgian Privacy Commission:
Rue de la Presse 35
VCI reserves the right to update this document from time to time. We therefore kindly advise you to regularly check this document.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you want the information to be used by VCI for member communications if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for member communications, you may change your mind, free of any charge, at any time by write an email by the contact form > membership on the website.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Belgian Data Protection Act 1992. No fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write an email by the contact form > membership on the website.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address, including a copy of your identity card. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect. Alternatively, as a member, you can log-in to your profile page and amend your membership information (e.g. address, contact data, …).
This website and its content is copyright of “VCI” – ®. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:
- you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only;
- you may make available the content to individuals that have an assignment in vehicle crime/fraud fighting organizations like law-enforcement, (Insurance) fraud detection and licensed private investigators, but only (i) under the restriction that the receiving individual shall not further distribute the contents, (ii) you acknowledge the website as source of the material and (ii) you do not charge any fees or costs for making available such content.
You may not, except with our express written permission, otherwise distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.